These fine gate lodges were designed by Sir John Soane in 1784, early in his eminent career and are listed grade II*.
The single storey lodgings typify Soane’s architecture, with an innovative but reserved classical style.
In 1953 the Langley Park estate was sold and divided into separate properties and the lodges became neglected.
They were lived in until 1970 after which time their condition deteriorated even further.
After five years of negotiation, the Trust acquired the lodges in 1985 and undertook careful conservative repair, including the reinstatement of the iron railings and gates which had been discarded in the nearby wood.
The lodges can be visited by appointment with the Trust.
Before the repair works:
After the repair works: